Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Is "Blank" of Dune Worth My Time

Paul of Dune
Winds of Dune

By Brian Herbert 
and Kevin J. Anderson


In short, no.  I know, my first real poor review of books from the Dune Universe.

If you really like the universe, and you really want to learn more about it, you should read them.  I have a few reasons for not liking them.

I knew what was going to happen, basically   Because of where the books are in the series I just knew what needed to happen to fit the story, but how we got there was sometimes unexpected.  Both books are similar in structure, they involve two stories in one book.  Think of it as a flashback, every few chapters we go back in time to learn about the past.  Honestly, I found the flashbacks of the books to be more enjoyable than the main story.  There was very little character development, mainly because it is mostly done in other books, that were written awhile ago.   

These books provide good facts about events that happened, but do little in expanding those event to anything special.  To be fair, to make them to special would surly steal some thunder from previous books, which would not be good either.  These books just give the feeling of filler, something that was unneeded,  doesn't really add anything special, and just fills some small gaps.  I do not regret reading them, but have no real desire to read it again.

If you want to know where they fit chronologically, here you go.  Red titles are by Frank Herbert, the rest by Kevin and Brian.

Dune The Butlerian Jihad
Dune The Machine Crusade
Dune The Battle of Corrin

Dune House Atreides
Dune House Harkonnen
Dune House Corrino

Dune
Paul of Dune
Dune Messiah
Winds of Dune
Children of Dune
God Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapterhouse Dune

Hunters of Dune
Sandworms of Dune

These authors have released a new book, Sisterhood of Dune.  From what I understand it is the first book in a new trilogy.  I will not be reading it until the other books are released as well, as I do not want to read it, then have a year or so to forget what is in it and then read the next one.  


No comments:

Post a Comment